CTDAR’s smallest historic property, the George Washington Oak Tree, was deeded to the CTDAR in 1934.
Our 400-year-old oak tree was Connecticut’s most notable tree until it fell to the ground in 2003. Work began almost immediately, after the tree fell, to design a monument to commemorate the small parcel of land in Gaylordsville, which would mark the historic visit by General George Washington and Lafayette on September 20, 1780. While Washington dined nearby, his staff of 20 men took refuge from the sun’s heat under the large white oak tree. After lunch, Washington and his men held council before they continued their journey to Hartford, where they would meet with Comte de Rochambeau. Dedication of the new Oak Tree and historic marker took place on Saturday, September 22, 2007. The park is located on Gaylord Road, Gaylordsville.